Our patient care efforts at Laredo Specialty Hospital have earned us national recognition as a healthcare leader, meaning that we provide the highest level of available care nationwide to our patients in our own community. We consider it a privilege to be able to offer high-level care and are honored to be a vital part of the community we serve.
Certified in Respiratory Failure
Laredo Specialty Hospital is the first hospital in Laredo, Texas, to earn The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Respiratory Failure. We are proud to be a “Center of Excellence” for all respiratory failure patients, including those who require prolonged ventilator management and weaning.
Respiratory failure occurs when there isn’t enough oxygen passing from the lungs into the body’s blood stream to help the body’s organs – such as the heart and brain – function properly. We treat numerous medical, surgical, or traumatic conditions that can potentially result in respiratory failure, including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Other medical or surgical complications that require prolonged mechanical ventilation
- Interstitial lung disease and other pulmonary diseases that require high-flow oxygen
- Conditions that affect the nerves and muscles that control breathing such as stroke, spinal cord injuries, and muscular dystrophy
To achieve the best possible results for our patients, we utilize best practices and evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. These include:
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation
- Mechanical ventilation weaning
- Sleep/Wake cycle
- Early mobility
- Case management